BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
by Michelle Fierek
I’ve never met a recipe i didn’t like, which gives the directions, “stir in cheese until melted!”
This creamy, cheesy soup is soon to be a family favorite, perfect to cozy up to on a cold winter day.
There are a few tips to make sure your soup comes out creamy and flavorful. Most importantly, you MUST use freshly grated cheese from a block. Pre-grated cheese in the bag is coated with anti-caking agents, preventing it from melting smoothly. I used two types of cheese in this recipe for extra flavor and grated them both on a box grater. When it’s time to add the cheeses, remove the pot from the heat and gradually sprinkle in the cheese by small handfuls and continue to stir to blend.
Serve your soup in a fun bread bowl! I found several bakeries in our area that make them, often called a boule. Just slice off the top of the bread bowl, scoop out the center, and serve it alongside to dip in your soup. Enjoy!
4 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
one medium onion, finely chopped
Two to three medium carrots, sliced
4 cups broccoli, (about two heads cut into small florets)
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
2/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1) In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, approximately five minutes.
2) Sprinkle in flour over onions and stir constantly until absorbed. Cook for another minute (it will form a paste-like consistency).
3) Slowly add in chicken broth, whisking as you pour. Whisk until incorporated and smooth.
4) Add in garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in Dijon. Bring to a boil and add broccoli and carrots. Reduce to simmer, partially cover, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
5) Stir in half-and-half. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses, slowly by the handful. Stir until cheese is melted and combined.
6) Serve in bread bowl or soup bowl. Garnish with shredded cheddar.